15.10 – The eye to see the I
We see not with our eyes but with our knowledge. Where our eyes see a line graph curved sharply downwards, our knowledge of economics helps us see a recession. It is our knowledge that enables us to make sense of the shapes and colors that our eyes show us.
We accept and apply this principle of seeing with our knowledge frequently in our daily life. Scientists too apply this principle with equal, if not more, frequency in their research. They see the bent trajectory of a light ray and see in the vicinity an invisible object with a super-strong gravity pull: a black hole.
Gita wisdom urges us to apply this principle in our spiritual life too. The Bhagavad-gita (15.10) states that we can see the soul with jnana-chakshu, the eye of knowledge. This knowledge is provided by the Gita itself in multiple ways:
- Objective analysis of the differences between the body and the soul (chapter two)
- Methodical delineation of the characteristics of the soul (chapter thirteen)
- Penetrating portrayal of the illusions that bind the soul to the world of matter (chapter sixteen)
- Illuminating account of the various paths of yoga that facilitate the perception and liberation of the soul (chapters three to six)
- Endearing elucidation of the supreme path of bhakti-yoga that not only liberates the soul but also reinstates it in its ultimate life of divine love in the spiritual world (chapters seven to twelve and chapter eighteen)
The more we systematically and prayerfully study this profound knowledge given in the Gita, the more we develop and refine our eye of knowledge. Thereby we gain the eye to see the I – the soul – as the obvious, undeniable and defining reality of life.
Hare Krishna. PAMHO.
Thank u. It is a brilliant piece, only U can write. You are doing a great service to humanity and to Srila Prabhupad in putting scriptural truths in ways that modern man can accept or at least respect. TI am sure SP is showering his blessings and inspirations on you. It is an irrefutable fact that SP gave courage and confidence to the spiritually minded to hold their heads high among so called intellectuals and atheists. You are carrying the torch forward, the torch that annihilates the darkness of ignorance.
My prayers to Lord Krishna to empower you more and more so that we can simply refute and settle all arguments and debates by quoting from Spiritual Scientist.
Your humble servant